Antiqued Furniture Pin

I started the process of changing many things throughout our house prior to starting this blog, so some of these early posts will be of projects that I have already completed.   My husband often times just shakes his head at the projects that I decide to try or even the indecision that I face before, during and after I have completed a project.  For example, I just repainted our kitchen for the second time in 6 months.  Crazy, I know.

Today’s post is one that I pinned and one of the reasons why I got myself into this crazy pinning addiction.  I often times call my mom, sister and closet “pinterest” friends (that is right I have certain friends that I know will love my latest pinned project, thank you Facebook for making the notifications from Pinterest link to Facebook) to let them know what I have accomplished.  This particular project left me a little scared to show my mother, as I didn’t know what her reaction would be in seeing her antiqued dresser painted and antiqued again.  Hesitations aside I decided to dive into the process of transforming my old dresser.

Original Pin:

Unfortunately, this dresser costs $795.00 on and I was not about to give my husband a premature heart attack at the thought I spent that kind of money on an antiqued dresser, although gorg! So after walking into our bedroom shortly after pinning this picture, I knew my current “antique” dresser would work perfect.  After dumping the dressers contents all over our bedroom floor, I was off to home depot to try my hand at this latest pin.



Dresser Before:

Now I must refer back to the original comment I made about wishing I would have taken better before pictures, this is one of them.  After browsing through all of my old facebook pictures, I finally found this small shot of this picture being my back drop for the overused “bookend” pose.








Materials (different depending on desired look):

  • White candle (I had this item), any waxed candle will do
  • Steal wool: Medium Coarse Grade- $3.98
  • 8 oz. Wood Finish: Ebony- $4.78
  • 32 oz. Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover: Gloss Almond- $8.48
  • 1/2 Pint Minwax Polyurethane: Clear Satin- $6.48
  • Any brand sand paper: Medium (to take off original stain)
  • Any brand sand paper: Fine (polish polyurethane between coats)
  • New handles- $3.98
  • Paint brush x 2
  • Old sock for staining

Total Cost: less than $30.00


I started this DIY project with the most grueling part, sanding all the original stain off.  Currently in Wisconsin the temperature is around 98 degrees with a heat index of 105-110 so sanding was not my favorite part.  I kept having to ask my husband “is this good enough” and every time “no, keep going”.  So what felt like 2 hours (which it really only took me 30 minutes) I was ready to apply the candle wax.  This is the part where you can antique the dresser as much as you see fit for the piece.  Since I was new to the process, I was not sure as to how it would work so I was quite light on the wax application (I wish I would have presser harder and applied more wax).  I ended up applying two coats of the gloss almond paint and let dry.  Now since it is so blasted hot outside, the drying time was fairly quick and while I waited for the paint to dry, I was able to apply the first coat of ebony stain using an old sock for my husbands sock drawer (FYI: use a sock that has been left with no pair, I didn’t and my husband wasn’t thrilled with yet another pair left “pairless”).

I must add that I also used another pinned idea while doing this project.  Saving paint brushes by wrapping them in a zip lock bags and placing them in the refrigerator in between coats.  This worked perfectly and saved time by eliminating the cleaning of the brushes between coats.

After two coats of stain and two coats of paint, it was now time to remove the candle wax in order to reveal the antiqued look.  By using the steal wool, you can remove the wax from under the paint and do little damage.  You are making it look antiqued so really the damage done by the steal wool emphasizes the distressed/antiqued look.  I also added two coats of polyurethane to the stained top while using the fine grade sandpaper in between the coats to buffer any air bubbles out.

Finished Project:








Total Time: about 2 days


Overall, I am VERY happy with the out come of this pinned project! My husband loves it and I love showing off my hard work.  Make sure you apply the wax fairly hard to get the antiqued look and be creative with this project.  You can put colors under the top coat, use a bright color (turquoise seems to be a popular pick) and change up the knobs (you can find vintage looking knobs at Pier 1).


5 thoughts on “Antiqued Furniture Pin

    • I simply just rubbed the edge of a candle in the places that I thought would be antiqued. Like around edges and nobs. I painted right over the wax for both coats and after the final coat was dry I used steal wool to remove the wax plus paint from those areas. It is okay to use the steal wool all over if you forget where you placed the wax. You can feel resistance where there might be wax and then you can apply more pressure.

      Hope this helps!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s